What moves me to tears on Election night.

I'm so grateful to live in a country where the most disappointed politician can say, just hours after losing the most important election,  "The nation, as you know, is at a critical point. At a time like this, we can't risk partisan bickering and political posturing. Our leaders have to reach across the aisle to do the people's work. And we citizens also have to rise to the occasion. .... And we look to Democrats and Republicans in government at all levels to put the people before the politics. ...
Like so many of you, Paul and I have left everything on the field. We have given our all to this campaign. I so wish — I so wish that I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead the country in a different direction. But the nation chose another leader. And so Ann and I join with you to earnestly pray for him and for this great nation.

And where the victor can "honor and applaud" the legacy of his opponent and state. ..."we are an American family, and we rise or fall together as one nation and as one people." He goes on, "I want to thank every American who participated in this election.  Whether... you held an Obama sign or a Romney sign, you made your voice heard and you made a difference."

It moves me to tears to listen to the graciousness and kindness offered. Now, if only all these politicians (and commentators!) can just treat each other with decency to get things done for the good of the country!

No comments: