Running on Empty

Fuel light is on.

We're already running late.

No time to stop for gas.

Just praying that I can make it ... just one more errand on the way to baseball practice, then drop off the guinea pig, and play awhile, then back to pick up the kids, then home in time for two calls while making dinner... how long do I have once that light comes on?



But I'm not stopping. Denying reality. Because if I keep going without gas, then I will really be late! At some point, I have to stop for fuel. But when do I really need to? If I knew I was really going to run out of gas, I would do what it takes to stop. But I'm pretty sure I can squeeze another few errands out of the tank.

Yet the stress of wondering if I'll run out of gas does not help my cricking neck or my knotting stomach. And then I start laughing. I think my neck and my stomach just might be an indicator of sorts. Need to stop and refuel! I've had the feeling since noon that I've put too much in my day. Being late to everything because my time predictions have turned out to be overly optimistic.Yet there is still too much to do before I stop. How much is too much? Today is overloaded.

How to know when 'too much' is really too much? The fuel light is on, but I'm not empty yet. Sometimes I try too hard to protect myself from anticipated stress and busyness. Serving others is worth stretching myself. Preparing for tomorrow is worth the tiredness today. Approaching one of the most important events of the year, we are going to be overloaded. My purpose in life is not to be at rest and stress-free. My purpose is greater than myself, so I'm pushing beyond myself.



...


Yes, the car made it. And with a gas in the tank, I felt much better. Dinner was cooked, calls were made and I enjoyed debriefing with my man, practicing piano as a lullaby for my kids, and reading my new book before bed. Rest is good after a long day of work!

Now I wake to a new day with a long list, but I'm going to breathe and enjoy it! Life is not an emergency. The efforts I put out today are worth it. And  I've got a full tank after feeding on the Word!



No comments: