silence

I’ve been silent a lot lately.

Our organization's policy is to be apolitical. I fully support this, and believe it’s a wise policy.  I willingly submit to the guidelines, for the sake of prioritizing the Good News of Jesus over anything else. But there are seasons when my deepest thoughts and emotions are connected to political issues. 

In two big issues, I am a minority opinion-holder in my communities. I could challenge accepted opinions; lies masquerading as truth. I often feel it is a moral obligation. Each of us needs to play our part. People are suffering and even dying because of the political choices made. Those around me support those politicians. I wish I could figure out how to appropriately use social media to stimulate thought and healthy debate.

Yet I choose to live by my belief that the work to which God has called me will transform people's hearts, leading to changes in public opinion and eventual necessary political changes. It's a long-term hope, too long-term for those suffering today. So today, I wrestle in prayer, pounding the pavement stones and asking God to shine His light in the dark corners of our world. For Him to change hearts through supernatural means, or through those who can speak.

And I am silent.

No comments: